Tuesday 2 April 2019

Elizabeth Day 3

Topics discussed today in ICT in Education:

- Using translation apps on devices for a variety of uses such as, learning to speak English as a second language or translating another language, an option instead of typing long posts or messages, etc... 
- Exploring many uses for video and live streaming such as, recording the class for students that were not present.
- When you create an account with Google, you receive a YouTube channel as well because Google owns YouTube.
- Exploring different functions of YouTube and how to use this app/website, for example, how to use YouTube Live.
- Skype can be used for group conferencing, meeting when people are out of town/province, guest speakers for classrooms when speaker is out of town/province (I really want to hold on to this idea and use it when I am teaching my own class. I think this could be a very useful tool when teaching in my remote community.), job interviews..
- Set up a Skype account and discuss it's many functions and uses. ***It is important to become familiar with Skype for future reference.
- Mindmeister is a website that allows you to create mind maps and graphic organizers for free. You can create graphic organizers for personal use or for collaborating with other classmates, co-workers, or students. I think this would be an excellent tool to use in the classroom because it will help students to organize their ideas and collaborate ideas with other classmates. It also allows your quieter students to participate, offer ideas, and avoid the anxiety of speaking up in a large group. I think this is an excellent tool which I am eager to use in my teaching adventures. A plus side to this website is that I could use this for personal use when generating and organizing ideas for my own studies and lesson plans. This is a tool I definitely plan to use and teach with my students! Thanks for this one Ggatin :) 




Notes: 

ctrl + c = copy
ctrl + v = paste
ctrl + f = find

1 comment:

  1. Excellent point about the quieter students, a project using an application like Mindmeister would definitely level the playing field and make the discussions much richer with the inclusion of more participants.

    ReplyDelete